Website State of California
Working under the supervision of a Caltrans Maintenance Supervisor (CMS), the incumbent will lead and participate in tasks including: maintains functional and landscape plantings; performs weed control and soil sterilization work; and operates specified vehicles requiring a Class B driver license with a Tank endorsement, light trucks, automobiles, highway maintenance, construction, or landscape equipment. Possession of a California Department of Agriculture Qualified Applicators Card is required.
- Provides lead guidance over and participates in the work of the assigned crew in maintaining functional landscape plantings. Assists the CMS in the completion of daily timekeeping, daily chemical data sheet, records for daily rental equipment, and safety meetings.
- Will line out crews with materials and proper equipment to use for landscape projects.
- Will do miscellaneous labor work in connection with the maintenance of highway landscape.
- These duties include, but are not limited to: trimming trees, shrubs, and other landscape vegetation; fertilize, plant and propagate replacement ground cover, shrubs, and trees; remove litter and debris; operate, maintain, and repair irrigation systems. Safely operates chemical spray equipment, chainsaws, string trimmers, and other landscape-related power tools. Maintains equipment in proper working order and make minor repairs to it.
- Assists in road closures including directing traffic and proper placement of warning and detour signs. Assignments may include flagging, highway maintenance, removal of litter, and chain control.
- Snow removal duties including removing snow from roadway, removing snow from signs and other traffic safety devices, and repair/replacement of damaged fence, signs, and guide markers.
- Operates one and two-ton trucks, and various other motorized landscape maintenance equipment. Operates equipment requiring a Class B license with tank endorsement as part of normal duties/training process.
- May be required to periodically clean, sanitize, and maintain maintenance facility, including floors, windows, work rea, and restrooms. Make minor repairs on equipment. May be required to act as lead over special programs personnel.
- Work boots, in good and sturdy condition, must be worn to provide foot and ankle support protection.
- Either long or short sleeved shirts provided by Caltrans, or a safety vest is to be worn over non-safety shirts or coats.
- Long pants. No shorts or cutoffs.
- Provided safety gear; hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection devices, face shields, gloves, respirator, chaps, or other safety gear must be worn when required by the Department.
Qualification & Experience:
Company: State of California
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Monterey, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A