Website City of Fremont
The City is searching for a self-motivated individual to join our team. In addition to the minimum qualifications and required licensures, the selected candidate must have strong customer service skills and the ability to perform a variety of complex building inspection functions. The Building Inspector Specialist must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, with the ability to be sensible, respectful, and patient working in a diverse environment. Experience with a public agency is desirable.
- Performs combination building inspection duties.
- Reviews building plans to determine compliance to specialized systems and methods and schedules of inspection.
- Resolves disputes over interpretation and application of building codes.
- Meets with City officials, business representatives and the general public to discuss specialized facets of inspection, including procedures and problems.
- Reviews and approves building permits.
- Investigates unlisted equipment and suspect substandard installations to determine product equivalency.
- Trains staff in assigned building inspection specialty.
- Performs inspections, plan check, and related duties in the specialized field of mechanical building inspections.
- Represents the City at meetings and conferences.
- Prepares correspondence and reports.
- Certified Access Specialist program (CASP) is highly desirable.
- ICC Certification as a Residential Building Inspector and a Commercial Building Inspector.
- Three specialty certificates (residential or commercial – mechanical, electrical, plumbing) with a minimum of two commercial specialty certificates. Specialists must also have both Residential and Commercial trade certifications in the position’s specialty (mechanical). ICC Fire Inspector II, NICET, or OSFM Fire Inspector may substitute as one commercial specialty certificate.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain by the time of appointment and maintain during appointment, a valid Class C California Driver’s License.
- Experience: Two years experience in building inspection work, including one year in a specialized field of mechanical inspections or equivalent specialized training or experience. In addition, incumbents must have a minimum of two years of experience equivalent to Building Inspector II in the City of Fremont (equivalent external experience may be considered at the discretion of the Fremont Building Official).
- Education: Graduation from high school or equivalent.
Company: City of Fremont
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Fremont, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A