Website City of San Diego
Under the general direction of the City Auditor, the Assistant City Auditor serves as an appointing authority and serves as City Auditor in the City Auditor’s absence. The Assistant City Auditor maintains overall responsibility for the operational and administrative activities of the Office of the City Auditor and manages all staff performing challenging and innovative work to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and equity of City government services and programs.
- Participating in the planning, organizing, and managing of the expansive range of work conducted by the Office of the City Auditor to ensure the work is timely, of high quality, useful, and in compliance with the Office’s mission and standards;
- Making presentations and representing the Office of the City Auditor in various forums, such as Audit Committee, Council Committees and City Council meetings, as well as briefings with key stakeholders;
- Ensuring compliance with Office policies & procedures, developing processes and systems to help achieve Office goals, and evaluating Office performance for consistency with expectations and compliance with mandates;
- Overseeing the Office’s Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline activities and supervising the fraud investigation staff;
- Administering the Office’s semi-annual recommendation follow-up process;
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and evaluation of the annual risk assessment and audit work plan;
- Serving as a technical resource for a variety of complex performance audits, fraud investigations, special studies, and other projects to advance the Office’s mission;
- Participating and utilizing expertise/experience in key milestone activities to define, execute, and deliver impactful audit reports that address significant risks, identify opportunities for efficiency and effectiveness gains, and develop actionable recommendations for implementation;
- Participating in the development and monitoring of the Office’s annual budget, and reviewing and approving departmental contracts and expenditures;
- Assisting the City Auditor in advancing strategic initiatives to protect and enhance the Office’s independence and effectiveness;
- Ability to understand the context of governmental operations within the policy and regulatory environment of a strong-mayor form of government;
- Strong interpersonal leadership skills, with the ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Strong business and political acumen to work effectively with the public, external agencies and businesses, and elected officials; and
- Ability to analyze complex, technical workflow and business processes and develop appropriate solutions to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and equity;
- Ability to balance competing priorities with both internally and externally imposed deadlines;
- Ability to complete assignments with accuracy and in a timely manner;
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple assignments, using initiative to accomplish results;
- Commitment to public service, fiscal responsibility, and innovation in government;
- A well-developed understanding of government/accounting/finance/economic processes;
- Ability to review, interpret, apply and explain federal and state legislation, municipal codes, administrative regulations, rules, policies and procedures;
Qualification & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, or a related field from an accredited college or university; and a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in government performance auditing is required with at least three (3) years of experience managing staff and/or audit projects. Extensive experience overseeing performance audits conducted under Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards and proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required.
- A Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, or a related field; advanced data analysis and presentation skills; and experience conducting or overseeing fraud investigations are highly desirable.
Company: City of San Diego
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A