Website U.S. Coast Guard
The maintenance mechanic (pipefitter) serves as a journeyman level maintenance mechanic whose primary duty is a pipefitter. The maintenance mechanic performs a variety of tasks involved in the upkeep of buildings, grounds and related structures, fixtures, and utilities.
- Determining required tools and estimates necessary materials such as pipe, fittings, etc., in the sizes, types, or lengths required for the job.
Provides troubleshooting and analyzes defects; locates and marks spots for openings in walls, ceiling or floor as necessary
- Installing, repairing, maintaining, and replacing steam lines, valves, radiators, heaters, storage and condensate tanks, steam tables, sterilizers, steam traps, control fittings, expansion joints, steam pressure cookers, etc
- Checking steam systems for leaks, defects in equipment and malfunctions. Installs, repairs and maintains reducing valves and stations, vacuum pumps, expansion locks and expansion joints
- Performing pipe cutting, pipe bending, pipe threading, pipe welding, and pipe hanging.
- Knowledge of how various high pressure piping systems and equipment are installed and operate.
- Ability to plan and lay out the installation, modification, and repair of various new and existing piping systems and equipment
- Makes complete and difficult determinations of materials and methods to be employed
- Shall have journeyman level in one of the following: air conditioning, welding, machinist, pipefitting, marine machinery mechanic, and
- Sheetmetal Mechanic in addition to primary duty of Pipe Fitter.
Company: U.S. Coast Guard
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: IT
Job Location: Tampa, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A