Website U.S. Department of Commerce
Monster Government Solutions (MGS) will be performing scheduled maintenance between Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. ET and 11:59 p.m. ET. You may not be able to complete the application process during this time.
- Conduct weather watch which involves interpretation of weather radar data and satellite imagery, and the analysis of other meteorological and hydrologic data and analyze all integrated data sets to determine the need of warnings, statements, or advisories; need for issuing or updating local public, aviation, marine, tropical, fire weather, hazmat products and forecast.
- Integrate all meteorological data available from a wide variety of sources, independently analyzing and assessing the current and forecast weather situation at both global, synoptic, and mesoscale levels.
- Occasionally serve as the acting senior forecaster, devising and formulating all necessary warning, advisory and forecast products during the shift with emphasis on meeting the need of the users.
- Provide weather information and decision support services to the general public and to agricultural, commercial, transportation, recreational interests, emergency managers, local and state officials, and federal partners.
- Time-in-grade/band must be met by closing date of announcement.
- Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply.
- This position is in the bargaining unit
- Payment of relocation expenses is authorized.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Three semester hours of ordinary differential equations.*
- Six semester hours of physics, with at least one course that includes laboratory sessions.*
- Six semester hours of atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics;*
- Three semester hours of physical meteorology; and
- Two semester hours of remote sensing of the atmosphere and/or instrumentation.
- There is a prerequisite or corequisite of calculus for course work in atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics, physics, and differential equations. Calculus courses must be appropriate for a physical science major.
- Six semester hours of analysis and prediction of weather systems (synoptic/mesoscale);
- At least 24 semester (36 quarter) hours of credit in meteorology/atmospheric science including a minimum of:
- Combination of education and experience: course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- Degree: meteorology, atmospheric science, or other natural science major that included:
- At least nine semester hours of course work appropriate for a physical science major in any combination of three or more of the following: physical hydrology, statistics, chemistry, physical oceanography, physical climatology, radiative transfer, aeronomy, advanced thermodynamics, advanced electricity and magnetism, light and optics, and computer science.
Company: U.S. Department of Commerce
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Honolulu, HI, US
Application Deadline: N/A