Website Federal Aviation Administration
Serves as an Aerospace Engineer within the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Integration Office, AUS and is charged with assisting in establishing the Agency’s research priorities, developing a comprehensive UAS research plan, sponsoring research studies, and providing subject matter expertise to support the FAA’s evolving regulatory and operational framework for the safe and efficient integration of UAS into the National Airspace System (NAS). As a leader and technical project manager, directly supports the Division with a variety of responsibilities including, researching needs analyses, requirement definitions, literature reviews, concept development, project management, technical evaluations, sponsor coordination and technical monitoring for FAA sponsored UAS research and development to inform rulemaking, aviation safety, policy and air traffic operations.
- Applies experience and comprehensive technical knowledge of engineering principles, theories, and concepts, as well as an understanding of new technologies and methodologies, to solve complex problems and develop improved technical processes for the organization. Organizes and assigns resources and project deliverable schedules to accomplish organizational objectives. Plans and accomplishes highly complex and challenging projects/programs and other work activities under the minimal direction of a manager, project/program manager, team leader, or more experienced engineer. May act as a principal technical specialist or as a project/program manager or team leader for large work activities.
- Considers the objectives of the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Integration Office, AUS when developing, integrating and implementing solutions to diverse, complex problems. Assignments frequently require knowledge and experience working across functional and/or organizational lines. Typical assignments may include: system design and integration; extensive research; and direct responsibility for project/program management.
- Contacts are internal and external. Often represents FAA as a senior technical point of contact on UAS projects, programs and other work activities. Communicates results to all levels internally (within an LOB/SO or across LOB’s/SO’s) and externally. Plays a lead role in drafting, reviewing, and editing reports or contractual documents for final approval prior to external distribution. Presents briefings to obtain consensus/approval on policies. Coordinates significant technical matters with representatives of external organizations.
- Participates in the preparation of formal documentation as well as the presentation of plans, results, responses and recommendations to a variety Of audiences including senior FAA management, Department of Transportation (DOT), Government Accountability Office (GAO), Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and Congress.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other government agencies such National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Department of Defense, Department Of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of Interior (DOI). This also includes organizations that are internal and external to the FAA within the UAS community.
- Broad policies and objectives provide general guidance for addressing issues, but allow considerable discretion to develop new and innovative approaches. Draws on experience to solve unusual problems and may create new solutions and policy interpretations as the situation requires. Provides policy guidance and instruction to others, both internally and externally.
- Provides guidance to lower-level staff to solve difficult technical issues. Resolves all but unique technical problems without the intervention of management or a more experienced engineer. Develops plans, techniques, and policies to address current or anticipated problems and issues. Works with senior management to solve problems.
Qualification & Experience:
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must submit an SF50 (See Required Documents)
- This position has a positive education requirement. Transcript(s) required.
Company: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Management
Job Location: Daytona Beach, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A