The city of Rockford is seeking candidates for the position of Fire Chief. The Fire Chief is the executive in charge of overseeing the Rockford Fire Department. The Fire Chief is responsible for the overall management and leadership of all fire functions including strategy development, hiring, promotions, transfers, terminations and staff recognition (over 330 personnel). Work involves responsibility for the efficient operation of the Fire Department to assure that firefighting, emergency medical, hazardous material mitigation, extrication, water rescue and other technical rescue services are provided to the residents of Rockford. Work also involves consulting with City officials in determining overall plans and policies to be followed in conducting fire operations. Work is performed with wide latitude in interpreting and applying policies, rules, and regulations; work performance is measured by total results obtained. The fire chief works closely with the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners and interacts with the City Council members, as necessary. The Fire Chief reports to the Mayor and City Administrator.
- Minimum of five years in a leadership role (e.g., Captain, District Chief/Battalion, Division Chief or Chief) with demonstrated success within a fire service agency.
- Pattern of progressive achievement throughout his/her career.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with emphasis in Fire Science, Emergency Management, Leadership, Public Administration, or closely related field.
- Demonstrated competency in strategic planning and execution (ensuring mission, vision and values drive the organization), financial planning, and staff development founded in outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Experience in an urban fire service agency or comparable experience.
- Certified or ability to be certified as Fire Officer II as defined in NFPA (will need to be certified through the IL Fire Marshal’s office following hire).
- Minimum requirements in accordance with Illinois Compiled Statue, effective January 1, 2019. ILCS5/10-2.1-4.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license.
- Employee must live within the corporate city limits of Rockford, IL following employment.
- Desired Qualifications
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Experience in an accredited Fire Department
- Management/leadership training such as: National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer Program or Chief Fire Officer designation from the Center for Public Safety Excellence, Commission on Professional Credentialing; FEMA National Incident Management System courses
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Paramedic
Job Location: Charlotte, NC, US
Application Deadline: N/A