We are looking to hire an Attorney I to defend lawsuits against GEICO insureds and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), PIP lawsuits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, in the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction.
- Ability to render legal opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department
- Prepare and handle pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath, and defend by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable
- Defends by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable
- Researching laws and preparing legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda
- Meets deadlines to respond to pleadings and correspondence
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Admission to the Georgia Bar required
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year of insurance defense or personal injury litigation experience or 2 years’ litigation experience
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email
- Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Macon, GA, US
Application Deadline: N/A