Website US Navy
Navy Child and Youth Programs (CYP) offers high quality early care and youth services in center-based (birth – five), facility-based (age 5-12), and recreational environments (teen; youth sports and fitness). CYP Food Service Workers support the CYP food service team to ensure nutritious and healthy meals and snacks for children/youth. They assist with food preparation, transport food to classrooms, and perform other kitchen duties.
- Stores canned, boxed, and/or frozen items in food storage area.
- Cleans serving carts, food preparation areas, cupboards, drawers, and dishwashing areas.
- Removes inspection doors, strainer pans, screens, and spray arms for preventative maintenance and cleaning.
- Labels and dates all items in refrigerators and freezers and stores leftovers in accordance with sanitation and health standards.
- Stocks food service carts with appropriate utensils, plates, bowls, food and beverages, as required for family style dining in the classrooms or activity areas.
- Unloads food and supplies from delivery trucks.
- Wraps, arranges, and/or packages items for serving to children and youth.
- Sets up and operates a mechanical dishwasher.
- Knowledge and understanding of food handling techniques, personal hygiene standards, and safe work procedures.
- Skill to develop standardized recipes for quantity cooking; able to expand and modify recipes according to the capacity of the equipment in the
- kitchen as well and in response to adjustments in the number of servings required.
- Skill to overcome practical production problems, evaluate final food products, and initiate corrective action when an item does not meet established quality standards.
- Working knowledge of diet principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, and possess strong interpersonal communication skill.
- Working knowledge of sanitation standards and procedures to prevent contamination, such as the need to clean equipment previously used for raw food before further use and the need to use a chemical sanitizer or maintain proper water temperature when cleaning dishes.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic in order to count the number of table sand serving bowls required to determine the number of servings a container will yield.
- Knowledge of techniques for measuring ingredients and basic understanding of recipe construction.
- Skill to perform tasks involving several procedures.
Company: US Navy
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Portsmouth, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A