Website U.S. Secret Service
Joining the Secret Service as a Special Agent will allow you to perform critical protective and investigative assignments. The special agent position starts at a salary of $49,508 (GL-07, step 1), with promotion potential to $146,120 (GS-13, step 10).
- Providing protection for various protectees.
- Conducting criminal investigations pertaining to financial obligations of the United States.
- Planning and implementing security designs for National Special Security Events.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position. Disclose any prior drug use, attempted use, and/or experimentation.
- Carry and use a firearm. Maintaining firearm proficiency is mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
- Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 25 decibels (A.S.A. or equivalent I.S.O.) in either ear in the 500,1000 and 2000Hz ranges.
- Possess uncorrected visual acuity of no worse than 20/100 binocular, possess corrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye.(Note: Lasik, ALK, RK, and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for special agent applicants. Applicants will be considered eligible for the special agent position provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are waiting periods for visual tests:Lasik-2 months after surgery, PRK-6 months after surgery, and ALK and RK-one year after surgery).
- Be at least age 21 at the time of application and less than age 37 at the time you receive a conditional offer of employment, unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement position covered by special law enforcement or firefighter retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement. Applicants with veteran’s preference must receive a conditional offer of employment prior to reaching age 40 to continue in the application process.
- Complete 13 weeks of intensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center(FLETC) in Glynco, GA and 18 weeks of specialized training at the James J. Rowley Training Center in Laurel, MD. Failure to pass the training program on the first attempt may result in separation from the Secret Service. Click here to review standard.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Sign a mobility agreement stating your willingness to accept assignments anywhere within the United States and overseas.
- Be appointed to this position under an excepted appointment which is limited to 3 years and 120 days. Upon completion of this period, you will either be converted to career status or separated based on the expiration of the appointment.
Company: U.S. Secret Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Orlando, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A