Website Smithsonian Institution
The Museum Specialist assists the members of the Office of Curatorial Affairs (OCA), National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) working on U.S. Latinx initiatives, programs and projects.
- Conduct research on topics, themes, graphic images, and objects within the Smithsonian, outside museums, private collections, universities, libraries, and other cultural and educational organizations associated with US Latino/a/x history, art, and culture. Conduct provenance research.
- Focus on proper and up-to-date identification and documentation of the collections records, monitor requests for conservation needs and storage of collections objects, monitor the quality and accuracy of cataloging, and assist staff with physical cataloging of objects as needed, and ensure digital object records are accurate, timely and complete.
- Work on teams with Office of Curatorial Affairs and other NMAAHC and Smithsonian staff to develop, encourage, and facilitate uses for US Latinx collection information and content.
- Prepare written documents for use in exhibitions, the museum’s websites, educational purposes, and acquisitions. Work with relevant staff to manage communication with vendors and donors.
- Assist staff with research, collections development (including acquisitions, documentation, and management), exhibition development, public service and programming centered on the US Latinx experience, which includes US Afro-Latinx people, art, history, and culture.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
Company: Smithsonian Institution
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Washington, DC, US
Application Deadline: N/A