Website Smithsonian Institution
The purpose of the position is to provide expert electronics/electrical systems engineering support to the development of advanced instrumentation for ground-based and space-based astrophysical and astronomical data collection on various Central Engineering supported projects.
- Provide technical consultation to CfA scientists and other engineering staff in instrument electrical design.
- Plan and direct the activities of technicians and designers in areas related to the design and fabrication of electronic assemblies.
- Travel, both domestically and internationally, to telescope sites, vendor facilities NASA centers, and the facilities of other associated organizations in support of proposal, design, calibration, test, integration, and mission operations activities.
- Provide hands-on support of the build, test, and integration of new electrical hardware designs for instruments and support existing instrument hardware in the field.
- Liaison with hardware contractors and subcontractors as required.
- Contribute to the architecture and development of electrical systems, subsystems, modules, and components.
- Document work in technical memoranda, reports, test plans, and procedures, and present work to scientists and engineers.
- Investigate, select, justify, and oversee procurement of critical electrical, electro-optical, and servo-mechanical components used in astrophysical instrumentation and its development.
- Work with scientific investigators to establish the electrical requirements of new projects, translate scientific objectives into instrument performance characteristics and achievable hardware.
- Must file Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interests
- Pre- and post-appointment background investigation.
- May be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Must participate in Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds for salary payment.
Company: Smithsonian Institution
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Baltimore, MD, US
Application Deadline: N/A