Manages the development and participation of significant and complex Sempra Energy and its business units in regulatory proceedings before the CPUC, CEC, FERC and CAISO; responsible for building and fostering relationships with key stakeholders, that may include regulatory agencies, and other utilities. Assigned cases may include issues such as revenue requirements, cost allocation, rate design, rate recovery, safety, policy, planning, market design, major project approvals, compliance and audit reviews, special programs and contracts, new services and earnings opportunities, and monitoring of key proceedings and developments that significantly affect the Company’s performance, revenues, credibility and reputation.
- Maintains strong relations with regulatory agency staff, external stakeholders, and other utilities to build trust, foster open communications, improve our reputation, and achieve high quality outcomes.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Organizes corporate-wide case teams and directly manages their participation in regulatory proceedings before the CPUC, CEC, FERC and CAISO. For each assigned case: oversees the development of the regulatory strategy and tactics to be pursued; establishes the case plan and schedule to be followed; directs the preparation of all materials including applications, petitions, comments, discovery responses, motions, testimony and exhibits; informs necessary personnel of case progress and major issues or problems; ensures that all work proceeds on schedule and complies with the case team’s agreed upon objectives; builds coalitions and solicits support from other utilities and interested parties; analyzes and summarizes intervening parties’ positions and pleadings; negotiates any settlement agreements or stipulations; oversees any staff or outside audits to be conducted in the case; informs affected personnel of actions called for in agency decisions or rulings; working with the analysis and tariff groups, ensures that the necessary steps are taken to implement all regulatory requirements established as a result of the case.
- Strong project management and organizational skills (deadline oriented).
- Ability to quickly grasp and respond to complex regulatory and political issues.
- Positively influences others and gains their respect, cooperation and support.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the state and/or federal regulatory process.
- Strong leadership skills and aptitude to work in collaborative team environment.
- Strong understanding of the key policy, regulatory, legislative and competitive issues facing Sempra Energy and its business units.
- Strong negotiation skills; able to use persuasion and argument effectively.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
Qualification & Experience:
- Reg Case Manager I : 3 years regulatory or equivalent experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree Economics, business, accounting, political science or related field of study, or equivalent experience. Required
- Reg Case Manager II: 4-5 years regulatory or equivalent experience required.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles Metropolitan Area
Application Deadline: N/A