SpaceX is committed to developing revolutionary space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets. The Starship Mechanical Engineer based in Boca Chica, TX will support the development of SpaceX’s Starship spacecraft and Super Heavy rocket (collectively referred to as Starship), a fully reusable transportation system designed to carry both crew and cargo to Earth orbit, the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Balance operational needs across vehicle systems while optimizing for development speed, mass and cost.
- Design and execute qualification testing.
- Own complex mechanical systems on Starship Booster and Ship through their entire design cycle:
- Lead multidisciplinary root cause investigations and component redesigns to improve reliability and/or production rate.
- Extreme ownership of product outcomes for spaceflight hardware.
- Incorporate design for manufacturing principles and supervise first article builds.
- Coordinate of multi-disciplinary teams working on system level vehicle design trades.
- Perform in depth first principles analysis and FEA to assess and optimize designs.
- Drive conceptual design, architecture trades, and first order sizing. Develop design criteria where definition is lacking.
- Knowledge of and experience in selecting materials, manufacturing methods, and surface treatments for mechanical components.
- Demonstrated strength in technical communication, articulating design decisions, and technical mentorship.
- Strong demonstrated capability in design, CAD and FEA.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- 3+ years of technical project leadership.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages.
- 10+ years of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis.
- Hands-on experience with mechanism design, prototyping, and precision mechanical assembly.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical, electromechanical, or fluid system design and analysis.
- Experience with design for high volume production with a focus on design for manufacturability.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A