Website U.S. Department of State
As a Foreign Service Regional Medical Officer/Psychiatrist, you’ll discover an opportunity that enables you to contribute your professional skills and engage your personal interests in a public service career. And with the U.S. Department of State, you may experience living and working abroad in developing areas where access to medical care and facilities is limited. In return for your service, you’ll have access to continued medical training and career development programs; health and medical coverage; federal retirement benefits; and generous paid leave. When serving overseas, you’ll receive paid housing or an appropriate housing allowance, and paid education for dependent children K through 12.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree from a university in the U.S. or Canada that was approved by a recognized U.S. accrediting body in the year of the applicant’s graduation.
- MD or DO or equivalent degree from a foreign school that provided educational and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the U.S. This equivalency may be demonstrated by either permanent certification of the applicant’s school by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a Fifth Pathway Certificate.
- Applicants must have a current, valid, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Applications will not be accepted from psychiatrists who are not licensed. The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) must certify applicants in psychiatry. American Board certification and re-certification, state medical licensure, and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Be a U.S. citizen and available for worldwide service.
- Be able to obtain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Be able to obtain an appropriate Foreign Service Medical Clearance.
- Be at least 20 years old and at least 21 years old to be appointed.
- Be appointed prior to age 60 (preference eligible veterans accepted).
Company: U.S. Department of State
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Washington, DC, US
Application Deadline: N/A