Website State of Maryland
This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Forest Service. This recruitment will be used to fill current vacancies for the position and may be used to fill future vacancies in the same classification/function. Future vacancies may also be filled via other recruitments. The resulting eligible list will be maintained for one year.
- Gathers and analyzes forest resource inventory data by using scientific data collection techniques, resource maps, aerial photos, and various reference publications to develop technical Forest Stewardship Plans and Timber Harvest Plans.
- Implements and coordinates forestation plantings for conservation purposes by locating planting areas, preparing planting plans and/or restoration plans, determining planting costs, utilizing financial incentive programs, securing tree stock, retaining contractors, recruiting volunteers, supervising planting efforts, doing seedling survival counts and assessing the property for possible release work.
- Oversees forest protection program through preparation, prevention, suppression and training to reduce losses of the forest resource.
- Coordinates the management (planting, protection, and retention) and enhancement of trees and urban forest resources by working with communities, local governments, schools and citizen groups.
- Conveys, develops and/or presents information to the public by talks, seminars, workshops, meetings, mailings, and news releases to promote forest stewardship and to inform the audiences about trees and forests.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in forestry from a school of forestry accredited by the Society of American Foresters.
- Four years of professional forestry experience involving forest or park management, wildlife biology, forest recreation planning, forest engineering, urban and community forestry, timber harvest and marketing, forest planning or forest protection. Two years of this experience must have involved supervision of employees engaged in related forestry activities.
Company: State of Maryland
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Bowie, MD, US
Application Deadline: N/A