Website U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
This position is located in the Southern Regional Office, Region 8, Fire & Aviation Management, in Atlanta, GA. The position is responsible for serving as the Fire Operations Risk Management Officer for the Region/Area and independently provides program leadership and direction in fire operations risk management programs.
- Evaluate fire management working conditions and recommends appropriate risk management standards, policies, and procedures.
- Coordinate risk management studies to review accidents and conditions, hazards, and other critical elements to determine information needs or other performance enhancements.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and adequacy of firefighter personal protective equipment, and develops or recommend changes in policy, plans, or programs to meet the fire operations risk management needs of the Region.
- Consultant at the national level in fire operations risk management policy development and serves on national committees with responsibility for developing agency policy in fire operations risk management.
- Review regional fire risk management programs to determine efficiency and effectiveness in meeting established objectives and identify methods and practices that are more effective in meeting objectives.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-13 level.
- Serve as an expert, consultant, and/or instructor at the regional and national levels in fire leadership, command, advanced risk management, and in national coordination exercises.
- Formulate policies and guidelines, develop long and short-range objectives, establishes priorities, develops plans, programs, and budgets.
- Develop and revise agency manuals and handbooks that directly relate to wildland fire operations risk management.
- Coordinate risk management program with other elements of fire programs to reflect policy direction, objectives, and regulations.
- Integrate risk management activities with other resources and programs.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If selected, must submit proof of vaccination or request a religious or reasonable accommodation.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Initial appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of training.
- This is a Test Designated Position. You will be tested for illegal drugs prior to appointment and randomly thereafter. Appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative results.
- There may be additional Conditions of Employment not listed here, however applicants will be notified of any specific requirements at the time a tentative job offer is made.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Minimum of 90 days of wildland firefighting experience is required.
- This is a secondary Firefighter retirement covered position.
Company: Department of Agriculture
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Atlanta, GA, US
Application Deadline: N/A